Monday, June 4, 2007

Bumpy Road!

Well, we certainly have bumpy roads we follow. Some are good, and some are not so good. God never said that the way would be smooth and easy. He just said it would be straight and narrow. Being a christian is bumpy, and hilly, and requires all the strength we can muster. But it is worth it, for we get a reward at the end of the race.

If the road were smooth, we would think, " Ah, this is a good road, I will stay on it. The other way looks too hard. I cannot go that way." I like the illustrations in Pilgrims Progress, about the Narrow way, and Broad way. The Hill Diffeculty, the Valley of the Shadow, and the Slough of Despond. And of course the Vanity Fair. This is the discription of the world, and what it's millions of devices are, that decieve us. We must look to the cross, and put our feet on the sure path of the Narrow way, and Jesus. And yes, those Giant Despairs, will crop up, and you, like David, in the bible, must conquer the giant.

So, I thank God for the bumpy roads, even though we are christians. I am thankful that He has made the road diffecult, so that we can look to him, always, and say, " Lord I cannot do without you!" That is where He wants us to be! Therefore let us be thankful!

This is what was laid on my heart, today, as I reflected on the Lord. Broad is the gate and crooked is the way that leadeth to distruction, and many there be that fall therein. But narrow is the gate, and straight is the way, that leadeth to life, and few there be that find it. I am one of those few. How about You?
Perennial Pioneer

3 comments:

Mrs. Anna T said...

I think I know what you mean. Doing the right thing is easy when everything goes smoothly. But the reward is so much greater when we have to struggle, and what a challenge it is to be grateful even for the struggles - but there's blessing in it.

Robert said...

You make some good points.

I haven't seen Emma but I have read about it on some blogs.Have you watched both versions? Did you prefer one over the other? I have Mansfield Park and I enjoyed that one too.

The Enchanted Cottage was made in 1945 and starred Robert Young and Dorothy Mcguire.If you go to the YLCF's archives for March 20 2005 you can read Gretchen's post about the movie.That was where I first came across the film.It's not well known but is a good movie about true love.I was able to tape it to a DVD-R disc a few months ago when it came on TCM.If you were interested, I could send you a copy of the movie.

I will think about doing a blog.I agree that it is helpful to write out your thoughts.

Laura H. said...

Thankyou for your encouragement!
Anna, doing the right thing is the hardest thing to do, in the mind of the world. But with Christ, it is the right thing to do. Our reward it great!
Robert, I have seen the Gweneth Paltrow Emma. I like it better then the other one. But I have seen the other one too. I will see if I can find The Enchanted Cottage at the Library, and if I cannot, I will let you know.Please do consider doing a blog. It is a cool place to meet other christians!:)
God bless you!
Perennial Pioneer

Show me Thy Ways!

Show me Thy Ways!
A Source of Joy