Monday, July 2, 2007

Seeking the Truth


Here is a question that came up, recently, and I was wanting to share it with you, to get some insight. My answer is below!

“I believe God can and does speak to His children today. As I've faced several big decisions and confusing situations lately, I've been seeking His guidance as I only desire to do His will. Several times during prayer I have heard what can only be described as a 'still, small voice'—but I'm not sure how much weight to give these 'messages.' How can I know that it is truly God speaking to me, and not just my own desires (or fears), or a deception of Satan? I'd like to hear about your own experiences along these lines, as well as any Scriptures that apply. Thanks!"—Seeking the truth
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my answer!
Seeking the truth,
I have struggled with this very same issue. I have often been praying, or just going about my day, and hear this little voice inside me saying do this or don’t do this. I get puzzled as to where or what it came from. I asked my Dad about it, and he said, “ If you are not sure, then cross examine the voice, by checking the scriptures. If you are not sure of the decision, find out what God says about it, in the scriptures. The Berians examined the scriptures daily, to see if the things Paul said were so.” If the voice has asked you to do something, not in accordance with the will of God, and the person he has placed in authority over you, then it is a deceiving voice, and should not be listened to. It takes common sense, and wisdom, to identify the voice. And if it is valid, act on it. Even if it is not, you can learn from the mistake you make. God puts these lessons here for us to grow, and to Him, there are no mistakes, just opportunities to learn! And you don’t fail Him, just sometimes we slip, because we are human! Surprising! The only time we fail, is if we deny His salvation! Do not let the cares and wiles of the world, bog you down, so that you are confused with the voice. Don’t let books, TV, friends and family distract you from hearing that still small voice! When you hear the voice, you will know!
Laura Hines, Sequim, Washington
What is your opinion?

Please Share!

Perennial Pioneer

1 comment:

Mrs. Anna T said...

Laura,

I think we should be very, very careful with this small voice. It can be God who is trying to communicate something to us, but it can be also be our selfish worldly desires, disguised as righteousness. So just like you said, we should study and pray about it!

Show me Thy Ways!

Show me Thy Ways!
A Source of Joy